When to file a complaint

There are two possible types of recourse against chiropractors:

  • Disciplinary recourse
  • Recourse regarding professional fees

Disciplinary recourse

Chiropractors are subject to a code of conduct that they have an obligation to respect. You can seek recourse against a chiropractor if you feel that he or she was either incompetent or negligent, or failed to fulfill his or her ethical or professional duties.

Syndics provide information

Do you have questions about chiropractic, treatment or your chiropractor’s behaviour? The primary role of syndics of the Ordre des chiropraticiens du Québec (OCQ) is to provide information. They are there to listen and answer your questions.

Nous joindre

Recourse regarding professional fees

Are you contesting the professional fees that your chiropractor charged for the care provided? You can complete a request for conciliation with the OCQ syndics.

Provided that the professional has not already instituted proceedings to recover the account, you can initiate a written procedure (preferably by means of registered or certified mail) with the office of the syndic of the OCQ within 60 days following receipt of your statement of account. The office of the syndic will then begin a process aimed at reaching a conciliation agreement between the professional and you with regard to the professional fees. This service is provided free of charge.

Filling out and signing a request for conciliation form

After receiving your request for conciliation, the syndics play the role of mediators and proceed with the conciliation. If the syndics’ mediation process ends in an agreement between you and your chiropractor, a report is sent to you and your chiropractor.

If the mediation fails and no agreement is reached between you and your chiropractor, you have 30 days from the time you receive the syndic’s report to file a request for arbitration with the council of arbitration of accounts of the OCQ.

Independent of the office of the syndic, the council of arbitration of accounts holds a hearing during which you and your chiropractor are called to testify. Then, the council of arbitration of accounts renders a written decision, which is final and binding.

It is important to note that neither the syndic or the council of arbitration of accounts can intervene if you are seeking damages against your chiropractor. This type of claim falls under the exclusive jurisdiction of the civil courts, to which you must refer, if necessary.

Did you know?

Office of the syndic: a handy reference

The office of the syndic can conduct an inquiry and ultimately take action against a member of the OCQ if it is informed that the member may have committed an offence in the course of his or her professional activities, or if he or she violates the Professional Code, the Code of ethics of chiropractors or any other regulation governing chiropractors.

The office of the syndic can also conduct an inquiry on its own initiative. The work is carried out independently and in complete confidentiality.

Individuals can also contact the office of the syndic in cases of fee disputes.

Contact us